Saturday, July 13, 2013

Shrimp Scampi with asparagus and orzo

I had a craving for scampi today and a bigger craving for a veggie to counteract my teenage style eating habits of late. I'm only halfway through this and it already smells aaaaamazing.

Can you tell I love asparagus with seafood? Yeah...

Olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 large shallot
1 tbs dried oregano
Salt and white pepper
About 30 medium shrimp
1 large lemon

Heat a good amount of olive oil in a pan and saute the garlic and shallot for a bit. DON'T let it brown or else you have to start over. Once it's getting near done, add the oregano and season with salt and white pepper. Let it cool, then add that, the lemon juice, a bit of lemon zest and the shrimp in a bowl to hang out for a while.

When you're ready to cook, you can either bake it, broil it, or saute it. Either way, it'll be done in about five minutes.

Throw a bit of lemon on some asparagus, season with salt and white pepper, and throw it in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Cook up some orzo in chicken stock, drain, add butter or olive oil, salt, pepper and some feta.

Perfection.

A couple of notes:
This feeds two in my house, but we are shrimp fanatics. We will throw down over the last shrimp, so I always make way more than I think I need. Still never enough. This would probably feed four in a non-insane household.
Also, and this should be fairly obvious even though I led with the shrimp, you'll want to start the orzo, then the asparagus, then the shrimp to have everything done at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment