Sunday, July 14, 2013

Chicken sammich with sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese

So a happy accident at the grocery store today led to some fun stuff. I'm trying to pack a lunch more often now and I misread a Martha Stewart recipe for a sammich. Hers called for farmer's cheese, I got goat cheese. And of course, I got the garlic herb variety.

I know nothing about goat cheese, but the awesome checker at Sprouts (my local grocery that isn't in the top three chains) was very talkative. I loved that. I bought some lavash bread which started the conversation, we discovered neither of us had tried it. When she saw the goat cheese, she said it was awesome, like super intense feta.

Once I got it home and realized I bought the wrong thing for the MS recipe, I thought: if goat cheese is intense feta, sun dried tomatoes are intense tomatoes. And I went from there.

So here is my happy accident sammich. I sampled everything on the way, so I have high hopes it's going to be yummy. My only concern is making this ahead for work tomorrow and it getting soggy, but I over toasted the bread so I hope that offsets it.

4 oz cut up chicken breasts *
2 slices toasted bread, well done
1-2 oz goat cheese, hopefully the garlic and herb kind
3 pieces sun dried tomatoes, chopped
Baby spinach

I got chicken breast cutlets that cook super fast. I cooked them on the Foreman for about three minutes, you could bake them at 325 for the same or fry them. Let them cool.

I over toasted some bread and let it cool. Top half got well chopped sun dried tomatoes, bottom half got the goat cheese. Throw the chicken on the bottom, give it some pepper, smush some spinach on, add top half and have some yum.

I hope this works without the squishy bread.

* My usual plain chicken rub: equal parts paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Update: This was awesome, but came out kind of dry. Next time when I cut up the chicken I'll try mixing it with some of the oil from the sun dried tomatoes. Luckily, no squishy bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment