Saturday, July 13, 2013

Chicken Stock

Once I figured out how cheap this is compared to buying cans, and how much better, I never buy store bought anymore. I usually use thighs or legs, but I've also just used a cut up whole one. If I have a carcass from a baked one that makes it even better. I also save the stems from mushrooms when I make them and always have a big bag in the freezer. Same with parsley stems.

2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
1 large onion, quartered
2 stalks celery, rough chopped
2 carrots, rough chopped
2 leeks, green parts only, chopped
Handful of mushroom stems
Handful of parsley stems
2 bay leaves
1 tsp peppercorns

Throw the chicken in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Once the nasty white stuff comes up, skim it. Add in everything else, then simmer for a few hours.

Strain the stock and throw it in the pot or a big bowl. Once it cools, the fat will stay on the surface and will be super easy to skim. If it comes out perfect, the stock will be almost jelly like.

Freeze whatever you won't use in the next couple of days.

I love the little plastic freezer jars from Ball to store this in, you can just squeeze it right out when you need some.

No comments:

Post a Comment