Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pork and veggie stir fry

I really feel the need to get a few veggies in my dinner tonight. My recent Dorito and fast food binge has left me spent. So this is an old favorite with some new tweaks that cut down on the chemicals in everything I used to use.

Ingredients:
1 lb pork, chopped into 3/4" pieces (this works with chicken or beef, too)
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 inch ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
Salt and pepper
Rice wine vinegar
Mirin
1 package stir fry veggies - usually broccoli, carrots and snow peas
1 package (three serving) dry Japanese soba noodles (I used to use Maruchan Yaki-Soba but those seem to be pretty full of stuff I can't pronounce)

Mix the meat with the next five ingredients. Let it hang out for a bit.

Cook the noodles according to directions, mine are two minutes in boiling water.

Get a frying pan (hopefully with rounded edges, a wok would rock) hot and add in peanut oil. Once that gets super hot, throw in the meat, drained from the marinade. Set the marinade aside. Spread the meat out a bit or do it in batches so it doesn't just steam. After a couple minutes, when it starts to brown well pull it out. Strain it but save the juice and throw that in with the marinade.

I'll pause there. Generally, you shouldn't use a marinade in the dish, but as long as you boil it, it should be fine. Feel free to leave it out, I like it in.

Add a little more oil, throw in the veggies. Cook until they get a little tender but not soggy, maybe 4 minutes. Pull those out and throw them on the meat.

Add in the juice from the meat and veggies and boil that a few minutes (dangerous marinade, remember?) Then throw in a splash more soy sauce, sesame oil and maybe some mirin or rice wine vinegar if you've got it. I always forget the mirin so I added some sherry. Throw in the noodles.

Heat the noodles for a few minutes, throw everything else back in and enjoy the party.

Notes: Apparently I am out of sesame oil, so I threw in a spoonful of tahini instead. Wonder how that's going to turn out.
I usually use more garlic and ginger, but it would probably be overwhelming for other people. We're both smokers, we need stronger flavors.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for letting us know this veggies and Pork Stir Fry. Your recipe looks yummy so I will definitely cook this later. I hope you can post more. Keep on sharing!

    ReplyDelete