Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chimichurri and dinner

I knew this was coming. It always happens when I'm bored, I get hungry, I go shopping and all of a sudden I want to make fifteen different things. And that is today. I went with chimichurri - I did this recipe a while back, it's a recurring favorite whenever I see red peppers or parsley.

I like my chimichurri chunky and far from that bright green crap you see on tv. I use my food processor, but if you chop by hand, just make sure everything is a super small chop. At the same time, if you use a food processor, make sure it doesn't turn into a puree. Although this time I did it a little finer than usual and it turned out pretty rockin. Better marinade and easier to use as a dip. Yum.

Chop together 1 bunch parsley (save most of the stems for stock), 1 seeded tomato, 1/2 seeded red pepper, 1 smallish onion, 3-5 garlic cloves. Add 1 tbs oregano, paprika and coarse kosher salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Stir it well.

1/2 hour later add 1/4 cup red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Tonight, mine was super moist - maybe the parsley got rained on at the market right before I picked it up? So I left out the water. 1/2 hour later, add 1/2 cup olive oil. Golden.

Dinner tonight is super simple. Chimi chicken, a can of black beans heated with a tbs of chimi in it, and pseudo Spanish rice. I sauteed about a tbs of onions, added 1/2 a cup of rice to the saute, then added a cup of chicken stock and about 4 oz water. Cook that for 20-25 min and you're good to go.


On a related note, rice is one of my culinary nemeses. I can't cook it for shit most of the time. Tonight is no exception. I put the heat a little too low, and it's been going for 45 minutes in a crunchy, watery mess. Fuck rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment