Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Za'atar is my crack

Za'atar. It's a beautiful spice mixture. My best friend is Lebanese+ and she introduced me to this amazing spice. We call it dirt, since it does look like it. It's an amazing mix of thyme, sesame seed, sumac and other things.

This will probably be a post that is good for some regions, not so much for others. Living in Los Angeles, I have a ton of ethnic markets around me, so I have access to this.

My local international market has "jordanian thyme." Which is basically thyme, sesame seed and some other stuff that if you add sumac to it, it's za'atar. I buy the shit out of this all the time. My favorite snack is a hot pita and some olive oil to dunk it in before the za'atar.

Tonight's snack supper is super simple. I just wanted some chicken. I put some sumac on the chicken, then some dirt. I cooked it up on my Foreman grill and grubbed. My man added sun dried tomatoes + oil, I added more sumac. Yum and super simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment