Thursday, July 19, 2012

Shrimp Scampi with pilaf and asparagus

I love love love shrimp scampi. I'm trying a super easy version of it. I haven't made this in ages, but I remember it being super simple.

Season 1 lb medium shrimp with salt and pepper after ripping their legs off. Heat a few tablespoons butter in a pan until it's bubbly and close to brown. Cook the shrimp a couple minutes on the first side. Flip them (just shake the pan around then flip the individuals that don't want to turn - way easier than turning each one) and cook a minute. Add two cloves chopped garlic and saute for about a minute. Pull out the shrimp and as much of the garlic as you can with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add in 1/4 cup whine wine and juice of one lemon. Cook until it reduces a bit and add in a tiny bit of zest and 2 tbs chopped fresh parsley. Pour it over the shrimp and poof: scampi.

I'm pairing this with a super easy pilaf. Saute 1/2 cup orzo in 2 tbs butter. Stir in 2/3 cup of rice and three cups chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce and cook for 25 minutes.

Throw in some asparagus and you're golden. Here was a thought - I threw the asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes and then threw it in ice water - blanch. Once I pulled the shrimp that was sauteed, I threw in the asparagus for a minute and then pulled it out before I added the wine etc. Beautiful. Yum!

The only misstep. Add some bouillon or some salt to the pilaf. It's incredibly boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment