Monday, August 20, 2012

Shrimp with orzo, asparagus and feta

Boil a pot of water and throw in 1/2 lb of chopped asparagus. Cook for two minutes and then put into ice water. Add 1 1/2 cup of orzo and cook for ten minutes. Save some cooking water and drain it.

Shell and devein 3/4 lb of shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Add 4 tbs of butter to a good sized pan. Once it's hot, add the shrimp with one chopped garlic clove and cook until the shrimp is pink, then pull out. Throw in the asparagus and saute a bit, then pull out.

Add in 1/2 cup of white wine with 1 tsp oregano and cook down, scraping the bottom. Add 1 cup of chicken stock, a bit of the reserved cooking water and the orzo. Cook on high for two minutes then add the shrimp and asparagus.

Stir in 2 tbs chopped fresh parsley. Serve and top with crumbled feta.

When I did this, I did the asparagus and orzo ahead of time and prepped the shrimp and just set to the side until I was ready to cook, which totally worked. I love a meal I can prep ahead cook in ten minutes.

It did need a bit of salt, as my stock is much less salty than the canned crap I'm used to. A bit of pepper made it pop. I loved this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment